Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
- Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970, DOCS C 3.134/2:H 62/789-970 and Ref. HA202.H57 1989, vols.1 & 2) - Historical population and housing data for U.S., regions, states and counties, 1789-1970.
- Census of the United States, 1790-date, DOCS C 3.X:nos. Paper and microforms or U.S. Historical Census Data Browser 1790 to 1960
- Statistics of Railways in the United States (ITC 1 ste 1:), annual reports from 1902 - 1948.
Reports of the Immigration Commission (J 21.2:)
- 41 volume report of a commission appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt that was published in 1911.
- Statistics and analysis of the impact of immigrants on such things as the U.S. job market, schools, etc.
Reports of the Womens Bureau (L 36.103:)
- Monthly reports from 1911 - 1958
- Themes include jobs, salaries, working conditions, etc. of women and child workers
Survey of the Conditions of the Indians of the United States: Hearings before a Subcommittee of the Committee on Indian Affairs, United States Senate (microfilm)
- Transcripts of hearings held between 1929 and 1944
- Testimony concerning living conditions on all reservations in the country
Annual Report of the Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes 1895-1920 (microfilm)
- Annual report to congress by a commission that investigated conditions of Native Americans
- Microfilm Includes index of the 1895 - 1905 reports
- Territorial Papers of the United States, DOCS GS 4.13:vol. and S 1.36:vol. - Documents and correspondence relating to constitutional and political beginnings and administration of territorial areas prior to statehood.
- Hayden, King, Powell, and Wheeler Surveys of the West, 1867-1883, DOCS I 17., I 18., W 7.1:, W 8.1: and the Explorations and Surveys for a Railroad Route from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean
Selected Documents in the Tutt Library Collecton:
Most of the publications at Tutt Library for this time period are congressional documents and located in Documents Enclosed Area. Please ask at the reference desk or the documents office for help in retrieving the documents wanted.
In addition use Indexes to early American Documents and the TIGER catalog (not everything is cataloged) to help locate other items of interest.
See also Democracy Documents, and Congress & A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation for Contenial Congress and Constitutional Convention, bills and statues, American State Papers and the Serial Set, House and Senate Journals, and Congressional debates.
- American Archives - Colonial papers and documents 1774-76 on colonial affairs and the American Revolution.
- Revolutionary Diplomatic Correspondence, 1775-1785 - Correspondence relating to foreign affairs and diplomacy during the American Revolution.
- Naval Documents of the American Revolution, DOCS D 207.12:vol. - Original documents and letters on naval operations from 1774-1777.
- U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774-1873 - Laws, House Journal, Senate Journal, Senate Executive Journal, Annals of Congress, Journal of Senator Maclay.
- Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789
- Papers of the Continental Congress, 1774-1779, located at the end of all the government Microfilm on the North 2nd Floor. Paper index on top of microfiche cabinets.
- Letters of Delegates to Congress, 1774-1789, DOCS LC 1.34:1-18 - Supplements the Journal of the Continental Congress.
- Secret Journals of the Acts and Proceedings of Congress from the first meeting thereof to the dissolution of the confederation, 1775-1788
- American State Papers, Serial Set vols. 1-038 - Executive and legislative documents of first 14 congresses, 1789-1823, grouped by subject categories. Index in each vol.
- Annals of Congress/Congressional Record - A record of the debates and proceedings in the Congress, 1789-date.
Executive and Policy issues
- Messages and Papers of the Presidents, 1789-1897, Serial Set 3265 and main stacks North 3rd Floor J 81.B96
- Foreign Relations of the United States, S 1.1:1862- - Official record of U.S. foreign policy with correspondence and papers on major policies and decisions.
Laws and Treaties
- Statutes at Large, [|Online] and DOCS AE 2.111: date - Bound volumes of laws as passed through Congress.
- Indian Affairs: Laws & Treaties by Charles Kappler, 1778-1904 (Online and DOCS I 1.107:1-6 - Compilation of treaties, laws, executive orders, etc. relating to Indian affairs.
- Treaties and other International Acts of the U.S., DOCS S 9. - For treaties 1776-1949, use the red volumes called the "Bevans". There is an index in the last volume. For treaties 1950- use United States Treaty Index, 1776-1990. Locate these treaties in the blue set, United States Treaties and Other International Agreements. For current treaties use Current Treaty Index. See also Treaties
- Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in War of Rebellion, N 16.6:vol. - See entry in the TIGER catalog for complete holdings. Letters, documents, reports regarding naval operations during Civil War.
- War of the Rebellion, Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. 1880-1901, main stacks North 3rd Floor E 464.U6 - Military records, reports, letters, orders on the Civil War arranged by campaign and theaters of operation Has index to individual names.
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu