Tutt Library Research Guides
- Registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and/or its international counterparts
- Offer shares for sale to the general public
- Required to make a variety of public disclosures
Important SEC filings include:
- the 10-K Annual Report,
- 10-Q Quarterly Report,
- 8-K disclosure of material events
- each company has a report tab
- SEC's system
These companies do not need to make the comprehensive SEC filings that required of publicly-traded companies.
Consequently, the amount, quality, and scope of available information is limited.
Sources for information:
According to the National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS), there are over 1.5 million registered nonprofit organizations in the U.S.:
1. public charities, 2. private foundations, and 3. other types including chambers of commerce, fraternal organizations and civic leagues.
Information varies greatly.
- Larger nonprofits may voluntarily disclose financial statements and other useful documents.
- 501(c) tax-exempt companies are required to file a Form 990 with the IRS.