Tutt Library Research Guides
For conducting company research, there are 3 major types:
Registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission and/or its international counterparts
Offer shares in the company for sale to the general public
Required to make a variety of public disclosures throughout the year
SEC - Securities and Exchange Commission
Important filings include:
- the 10-K Annual Report,
LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe
These companies do not need to make the comprehensive SEC filings that required of publicly-traded companies.
Consequently, the amount, quality, and scope of available information is limited.
Sources for information:
Information varies greatly for nonprofit companies.
- Larger nonprofits may voluntarily disclose financial statements and other useful documents.
- 501(c) tax-exempt companies are required to file a Form 990 with the IRS.
Guidestar provides information about nonprofits
- most of it free with registration
Nonprofit Explorer just over 600,000 nonprofit organizations
- organizations that has been recognized as tax exempt by the IRS
- includes all 27 nonprofit designations