Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
Request Materials & Track Research
Use general overview sources, like subject-specific encyclopedias to understand your topic at an introductory level. In particular, note:
- The lay of the land
- Where, when, and who was involved in your topic?
- Write down keywords and phrases used in the overview articles
- Use these for search terms
- Note names of player and scholars active with your topic
- Use the article's bibliography to find further sources.
- Note the names of the journals that publish articles on the topic and search those journals for more articles.
- Notice the sub-headings in the article or the sub-topics it covers. These are built-in cues for narrowing your research topic.
Tutt Library Online Encyclopedias and Reference
, Art & Art History
, Book Studies
, Comparative Literature
, Film and Media
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu