Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
Looking for a composer?
If you want to find works by a composer, do an AUTHOR search in the Tiger catalog. This will bring up anything she has created (scores, recordings, writings, etc).
If you want to find out about a composer, do a SUBJECT search.
For both of these searches, use this order-last name, first name:
Still, William Grant
The Seay Library doesn't have many scores of African American composers, particularly by women. Check out this page for a list of composers of African descent.
Many contemporary composers have websites with sound files and biographical information.
The Seay Library has a few score by African American composers. Perform a KEYWORD search combining the composer's name and the name of the work you seek. If you seek a genre - hymns, jazz, spirituals, blues, etc., it's best to ask a librarian to assist you.
These online sites contain African American works:
- Sheet Music Consortium
A huge collection of digitized sheet music collections from many universities and other sources. Be aware that you'll find material that will be objectionable. This is a historical collection.
- African American Sheet Music From the digital Sheet Music Collection at the John Hay Library at Brown University. One of the largest collections of sheet music in any library in the United States, it consists primarily of vocal music of American imprint dates from the 18th century to the present day, with the largest concentration of titles in the period 1840-1950. The African-American related sheet music includes songs from the heyday of antebellum blackface minstrelsy in the 1850s and from the abolitionist movement of the same period.”
Expand your search for scores!
You can search for scores in three library catalogs -- TIGER, Prospector, and WorldCat:
- TIGER includes all scores owned by campus libraries
- Prospector gives you access to media in over 45 regional libraries
- WorldCat lists library holdings nationwide
- Prospector: 3-5 business days
- WorldCat (Interlibrary Loan): 5-10 business days
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu