Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
Just looking for a sound recording or video (DVD, etc)?
- Select AUDIO/VIDEO from the drop down box for searching.
Use an AUTHOR search to find sound/video recordings of composers and performers.
- REMEMBER! You must use Last Name, First Name when conducting an AUTHOR search!
Music 24/7! Streamed Audio...
Check this out! The Music Library provides streamed audio, available 24/7. You'll find a big hip hop collection in Music Online.
Finding Recordings: Tiger, Prospector and WorldCat
Yes, there is Youtube! But, you also have access to recordings from three library catalogs -- TIGER, Prospector, and WorldCat:
- TIGER includes all of the recordings owned by campus libraries
- Prospector gives you access to media in 22 regional libraries
- WorldCat lists library holdings nationwide
- Prospector: 3-5 business days
- WorldCat (Interlibrary Loan): 5-10 business days
When searching TIGER, Prospector, and WorldCat, try to
- Use broad keywords from your class reading to begin your search.
- Refine your searches by adding keywords.
- Click on the subject headings of interesting sound/video recordings to find similar materials and more search terms.
- Try the Library of Congress Authorities and Vocabularies thesaurus to find variations of keywords and subject headings.
Think Broadly. Remember to think broadly when searching for materials - that is, to realize that your specific topic will probably be treated in books that cover a broader subject.
Once you find a resource relevant to your topic, use subject headings to help you find more.
To limit your results to recordings (sound/video), select Audio/Video from the drop down box.
- Keyword (limited to Audio/Video drop down box)
- Subject (limited to Audio/Video drop down box)-by doing this you'll see a variety of useful subject headings.
You'll see many subject headings.
Of course, you will also want to search for recordings with more specific information, such as performers, composers, titles of works.
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu