Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
New Scores in the Music Library
Generally, scores are found in the Music Library. Our collection of jazz scores is relatively small.
Use an AUTHOR search to find scores by particular jazz musicians.
- VIEW ENTIRE COLLECTION-you'll bring up scores, recordings, videos, and any books, or chapters in books, etc. about your artist. When you get your results, click on the button. This will open a new page. Select "scores" from the "Material Type" drop down box and submit your search.
- MUSIC LIBRARY-you'll bring up everything located in the Music Library-mainly scores and audio/video recordings. Limit for scores as described above.
IMPORTANT!! You must use the convention of Last Name, First Name when conducting an AUTHOR search!
You can also use a TITLE search. You can limit your search by selecting the following collection:
- VIEW ENTIRE COLLECTION-you'll bring up scores, recordings, videos, and any books, or chapters in books, etc. about your musical.
- MUSIC LIBRARY-you'll bring up everything located in the Music Library-mainly scores and audio/video recordings.
Fakebooks are a great source for jazz tunes. Perform a SUBJECT search on Jazz-Fake Books. You may also find some jazz stancards by searching the subject, Music-Fake Books.
Sheet Music and Scores Databases
Google "free jazz sheet music" and you'll find many sites to choose from. There are many sites that sell jazz music as well.
The sites below will also lead you to some jazz scores.
- Sheet Music Consortium
A huge collection of digitized sheet music collections from many universities and other sources.
- IMSLP Petrucci Music Library
A digital music library, free printing allowed. It aspires to collecting all public domain music, as well as music by living composers willing to share their works. It's a Canadian site, so adheres to stricter copyright regulations than the United States.
- Online Resources for Music Scholars
"provides a basis for beginning electronic research on a wide variety of topics in music, including historical musicology, ethnomusicology, music theory, composition, and performance practice. It collects links to archival collections, online scores and sound recordings; article indexes, discographies and bibliographies; scholarly societies; musical reference works; and a miscellany of useful websites."
- Digital Librarian: Scores
A collection of internet resources reviewed by librarians for their authoritativeness and usability.
Choral Public Domain Library
Free, public domian choral/vocal scores, texts, translations, and other useful information.
- Orchestral Music Online
A great reference resource on symphonic literature, containing about 6700 works by 900 composers. This is the online version of David Daniel's classic print resource. This database is searchable by timings, instrumentation, available editions, soloists, and choruses.
- Theme Finder
Themefinder provides search access to a database containing tens of thousands of short melodies and musical incipits, allowing you to identify common themes in Western classical music, Folksongs, and Latin Motets of the sixteenth century.
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu