Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
What is the Serial Set?
It is one of the most important sources of primary research material for American history and the social sciences.
U.S. Congressional Serial Set, Congressional Universe
- a continuing series of over 14,000 volumes of reports, documents, and journals
- from the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate from the 15th Congress forward
- including administrative reports, annual reports of agencies, internal manuals, special reports, and congressional directories
- maps and illustrationsdocuments dealing with history of political, military, ethnic and cultural, genealogical, explorations, international relations, and commerce-industrial development.
American State Papers, Congressional Universe
- are considered part of the Serial Set (although compiled retrospectively).
Indexes to the Serial Set
CIS U.S. Serial Set Index, KF12.C57 1975
- multi-volume print index may be searched by subject/name or by document number in chronologically arranged volumes.
Congressional Universe, (online CC and library use only)
- indexes the American State Papers and the Serial Set by subject and keyword, individual names, and organizations; chronological/numerical lists of reports and documents
- includes carto-bibliography of all maps in the set: choose ‘Advance Search’ and select “Serial Set”
Numerical lists and schedule of volumes of the reports and documents of the … Congress, … session, KF12.N8 1933-42
- Annual starting with: 73rd Congress, 1933/34
- used to obtain serial numbers for the Congressional reports and documents
Finding Official records volumes in the U.S. serial set, KF12 .F3
- Summary Tool for finding Civil War sets in the U.S. Serial Set:
1) the War of the Rebellion : a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies
2) Official records of the Union and Confederate navies in the War of the Rebellion
Guide to American Indian documents in the Congressional Serial Set, 1817-1899 : a project of the Institute for the Development of Indian Law, D 340.52 J637g
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu