Skip to main content
Tutt Library Research Guides
What is the Serial Set?
The United States
It is one of the most
important sources of
primary research material
for American history and
the social sciences.
U.S. Congressional Serial Set, 1817-present, incomplete holdings
Docs, main stacks and Encloded area
- a continuing series of over 14,000 volumes of reports, documents, and journals from the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate from the 15th Congress forward
- including administrative reports, annual reports of agencies, internal manuals, special reports, and congressional directories
- maps and illustrationsdocuments dealing with history of political, military, ethnic and cultural, genealogical, explorations, international relations, and commerce-industrial development.
- Ask at the Reference Desk for volumes in the Docs Enclosed area.
- volumes 1-268 available on micro-card
- ask at the Reference Desk to retrieve from Docs Enclosed
- use Tutt North 2nd Floor reader back by Periodicals Office – not in microforms area
- #5200- are in Docs stacks, SuDoc X
(US Serial Set serial numbers not used)
American State Papers, 1st-14th Congresses, 1789-1838
- considered part of the Serial Set although compiled retrospectively
- Ask at the Reference Desk for volume retrieval
- Use Congressional Universe (CC and in library use only)
Indexes to the Serial Set
These on the on east wall in the Map room.
(Docs Index 1st Floor South)
CIS U.S. Serial Set Index,
- multi-volume print index may be searched by subject/name or by document number in chronologically arranged volumes.
Congressional Universe, (online CC and library use only)
- indexes the American State Papers and the Serial Set by subject and keyword, individual names, and organizations; chronological/numerical lists of reports and documents
- includes carto-bibliography of all maps in the set: choose ‘Advance Search’ and select “Serial Set”
Numerical lists and schedule of volumes of the reports and documents of the … Congress, … session, KF12.N8 1933-42
- Annual starting with: 73rd Congress, 1933/34
- used to obtain serial numbers for the Congressional reports and documents
Finding Official records volumes in the U.S. serial set,
- Summary Tool for finding Civil War sets in the U.S. Serial Set:
1) the War of the Rebellion : a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies
2) Official records of the Union and Confederate navies in the War of the Rebellion
Guide to American Indian documents in the Congressional Serial Set, 1817-1899 : a project of the Institute for the Development of Indian Law,
D 340.52 J637g
Tutt Library, Colorado College Research Help Desk: 719-389-6662, Texting: 719-387-5441, E-mail: tuttref@ColoradoCollege.edu